It's so exciting to see how much Gray Haven is growing. The community and family that is Gray Haven started out as just a few people wanting to see victims of human trafficking find hope and healing. As we grow we are welcoming more and more people into our community. They are passionate, brilliant and awesome. Not enough can be said to express our gratitude to those that have caught the vision of what Gray Haven is about and have joined us in seeing the vision become reality.
A couple of weeks ago we welcomed Kendra to the Gray Haven team as our new social media manager! We’re so excited that she has joined us. Kendra is very passionate about this issue and recently saw the opportunity to volunteer as our social media manager. Below is a little bit of her story and some of her favorite things:
When did you decide you wanted to actively get involved in addressing human trafficking? What was the moment that catalyzed that desire?
When I was a senior in high school, I had a period working in the library. One day while putting new inventory on the shelves, I found Sold, by Patricia McCormick. At 17 years old, I had never been introduced to the travesty of human trafficking, and so to say that reading this book was shocking would be putting it lightly. This book tells the story of a little girl from Nepal, who is sold to a trafficker by her parents at the age of 13. The book is absolutely heartbreaking, and while it is fictional, it is the very true story of little girls all over the world. After reading this book and being exposed to such an atrocity I knew that I had to help end it in any way I could. I’m 23 now, and a junior at Mary Baldwin College working toward a degree in International Relations. My only real goal is to see an end to slavery within our lifetime, and I believe it’s achievable if those with freedom assume the responsibility of caring for those without.
What are 5 of your favorite things to do?
- Reading. Oh my goodness, I love to read! I’m currently reading the second book of The Hunger Games, and I’m having a really hard time putting it down.
- Travelling to visit family. I have a fairly large family, and we’re dispersed everywhere up and down the East Coast. I’ve always been fond of trips, and any excuse to see people I love is fine in my book.
- Random acts of kindness. It’s always fun to brighten someone’s day.
- Hula hooping. I never thought that something I did as a kid could still be so much fun, but I love it.
- Talking. I love to talk, and even more than that, I love to talk to people. Everyone has their own distinct story, and I love hearing snippets of them all.
If there was any one food you would have to eat for the rest of your life what would it be?
That’s tough, but I’ll have to go with strawberries. When they’re really ripe, they're absolutely delicious. And they’re even better as a smoothie.
So, do me a favor and welcome Kendra to the team. You'll be interacting with her on Facebook, Twitter, and our other social media platforms.
Hope and Peace,